Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 16 May 2011

Info Post
I recently read Everlost by Neal Shusterman to my class, and they loved it. It was probably their favorite read aloud all year. While I had it hanging around my classroom, my daughter Gina picked it up, devoured it, and then convinced HER teacher to read it aloud!

Gina's Review: Everlost

This is one of my favorite books: Everlost. It is about Nick and Allie, who get in a car crash and don’t survive. But they don’t exactly die either; instead they end up in Everlost. Everlost is a place between life and death where only kids can go. It’s a place filled with ghostly children and things and places that no longer exist in the living world – like The Twin Towers, the Hindenburg, and any object that was ever loved.

Allie and Nick decide to find their parents and see if they survived the crash. As they go along their journey, they are introduced to Mary Hightower. Mary is the supervisor over all the children and she keeps them safe. Nick instantly falls in love with her. Allie instantly hates her.

They are invited to stay with Mary forever but Allie doesn’t agree. She wants to learn some skills from a kid called the Haunter. When they get there Nick gets trapped in a pickle barrel, but Allie manages to get away. Before she can rescue Nick, the Haunter gets attacked by the one true monster of Everlost: The McGill. Allie goes to find the McGill and when she does, he captures her.

Now she has to find a way for her and Nick to escape.

I loved this book because it was so cleverly written. People you thought were good ended up being bad, and people you thought were bad ended up being good. Thank heavens there’s two more books in the series: Everwild and Everfound.


Thanks, Gina! And I second her recommendation. Love, love, love The McGill! As for my class, they enjoyed it so much that this month's Scholastic book order looked like THIS. I think Mr. Shusterman owes me some thanks. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment